Get the most effective audio vocabulary building program. Download to your MP3 player or burn to CDs for your daily commute.
(Yes, I would like to sound smarter than my co-workers and friends.)
Learning one new impressive word a day is good, but you can master over a year’s worth of words in just a few weeks.
Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home3/stumsorg/public_html/overnightvocabulary/inc/defs.php on line 228
Monday February 8, 2016
An excuse, something that is put forth to conceal a true reason or purpose A pretext is an excuse that hides the real intent or reason for something.
- Some believe that the supposed evidence of weapons of mass destruction was a pretext to invade Iraq.
- Jim used the pretext that he was sick to avoid going to the ballet.
- She told everyone that she quit her old job because her new job paid more, but that was just a pretext. She really quit because she detested her coworkers.
Word Usage Tip
PRETEXT = EXCUSE
- Tell me honestly, are you really going to visit your grandma or is that just an EXCUSE for not wanting to go out with me.
- Tell me honestly, are you really going to visit your grandma or is that just a PRETEXT for not wanting to go out with me.
THINK... how can you use pretext in a conversation today?
The Word of the Day email is a FREE service provided by Overnight Vocabulary. Every day you will receive a great new highly educated yet practical vocabulary word, with a detailed definition, real to life example sentences, and tips on how to start using it in your speech and writing immediately. The goal of the Word of the Day is to help you use the today's word before tomorrow's word even hits your inbox!
Just like the Overnight Vocabulary audio program, the Word of the Day will focus on practical words you can actually use opposed to obscure words that get strange looks from people. So don't expect to get strange words randomly selected from the dictionary like you get from other Word of the Day programs.
Choose Overnight Vocabulary as your go to resource for increasing your vocabulary and impressing your friends and collegues. Our program will help you succeed profesionally and impress socially.